With the COVID-19 pandemic in full affect across the United States, and the President banning all mass gatherings over 10 people, until at least April 30, we have been receiving phone calls and emails from our members with questions.
There will be more information coming from us, and many other sources, over the coming months, so we have started this page as a directory for the information and updates that will be available for our members throughout the coming months. The look of this page will change over time, so check back often.
2021 WVAFF Queen Eligibility Questions – use this link
This information concerning eligibility is as of 4/15/2020
Coronavirus News and Resources below:
What will be waiting on the other side of all of this is uncertain. The only certainty we have now, is that we know – as West Virginians – we will get through this – together.
As we wait out the storm that COVID-19 has brought, we hope that each of you will stay in touch with your fans and your communities. It can be as simple as updating your social media accounts with important information for your area; or by having your Queen do an uplifting social media post with the hashtags #wvaffstrong and or #fairstrong. Let folks know that your organization is still here.
WV Department of HHR
WV Hospitality and Travel Association
CDC Coronavirus Index
Small Business Guide to the CARES Act
State Quarantine and Isolation Statutes
Clean and Disinfecting for Community Facilities
WV Public Broadcasting:
Coronavirus in West Virginia
Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell
The Coronavirus Explained & What You Should Do
Beckers Hospital Review
When will COVID-19 peak?
Comprehensive Guide to Coronavirus
Carnival Warehouse recommendations of what fairs and festivals, should be doing.
COVID19 and Future of Our Events
The information below is as of 4/15/2020
2021 WVAFF Queen Eligibility
During this time of uncertainty, we’d like to extend our help in any way that we can. We have received numerous phone calls and emails regarding your queen’s eligibility and the “what ifs?”
In terms of your Queen’s eligibility, please find the following updates:
1. If you were able to hold a pageant this year, but your 2020 event is cancelled
- Your queen will still be eligible to participate in the pageant IF you plan to host an eligible event next year (2021). This will NOT apply to events that will no longer have an event. NOTE: This is a one-time exemption due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
2. If you were unable to have a 2020 pageant
- If you are unable to have a 2020 pageant, you will be able to send the representative from your previous pageant; or have your Board of Directors appoint someone. ALL WVAFF eligibility requirements must still be met.
Please remember, that each local pageant that is conducted by the Fairs and Festivals that are member events of our Association, is independently produced under the direction of the Fair or Festival itself. While the West Virginia Association of Fairs & Festivals does accept eligible representatives from these Fairs and Festivals, who are in good standing, as contestants in the state pageant, we have no control over the local pageants themselves.
WVAFF Board of Directors
Each of our fairs and festivals are vital to our communities, and when this is over, they will need our help just as much as we will need them. The economic boost is the first thing that comes to mind, but maybe more importantly is the social value. We provide a location for families and friends to come together to make memories and to have fun – something that they may not get to do for many weeks to come.
Updates on Fairs and Festivals that we have received:
Any changes to Events that we receive will be listed below:
- Calhoun County Wood Festival
- Postponing the 58th Annual Wood Festival until 2021
- Clendenin Homecoming Festival
- Clendenin Homecoming Festival and all Pageants are cancelled for 2020
- Marmet Festival Days Pageant
- Original Date: April 3-4, 2020
- Re-scheduled Date: TBA
- Mid-Ohio Valley Multi-Cultural Festival Pageant
- Re-scheduled to May 3rd, 2020
- Putnam County Fair Queen Pageants
- Postponed to June 14th
- Rhododendron Festival
- May 9 – 30, 2020, Subject to Change
- Richwood Ramp Festival
- Event Date: Cancelled for 2020
- Summersville Lighthouse Festival
- Summersville Lighthouse Festival scheduled for 2020 has been canceled
- Summersville Lighthouse Festival Pageant for 2020 postponed until further notice
- Webster County Woodchopping Festival
- Suspended for 2020
- Elimination Dinner – postponed – possibility of re-scheduling
- Woof Fest
- Event Date: Rescheduled for October 18, 2020
- WV Chocolate Festival
- Events postponed until May 16
- WV Memorial Day Parade
- The 153rd annual West Virginia Memorial Day parade has been cancelled. This event was to take place on Memorial Day, May 25th, 2020. West Virginia Memorial Day Committee is planning a non-public observance on Memorial Day. In the event State mandates are lifted, for social gatherings, the public may be notified about the committee’s contingency plans.
- WV Strawberry Festival
- Has postponed the Queens Pageants this weekend (March 21 & 22)
- The Board of Directors has voted to to postpone all activities and events related to the 79th WV Strawberry Festival to May 2021
- WV Sweetheart Festival
- Original Date: April 4, 2020
- Re-scheduled Date: May 9, 2020
- WV Three Rivers Festival
- Re-scheduled Date: June 11-13, 2020