A Statement Regarding Coronavirus
In regard to the Coronavirus, the West Virginia Association of Fairs and Festivals is monitoring the constantly changing mandates being issued by state and federal agencies, and recommendations from the CDC, and we urge every Member Event and Associate Member of our Association to do the same. In fact, add your local government agencies to the list.
It is a time to make wise decisions and create contingency plans for each element of the event that you are producing. We realize that pageants are scheduled almost on a weekly basis this time of the year. Meetings are scheduled to keep up with the planning of annual events. Actual fairs and festivals are scheduled to take place in the very near future.
Here are just a few examples of measures recently taken to alleviate the spread of the Coronavirus:
- Disney World officially closed its doors.
- Major hotels on the Las Vegas Strip are closing.
- The Supreme Court, for first time since 1918, postpones oral arguments.
One thing that we have decided to do, as an Association, is to curtail any appearances by our WV Association of Fairs & Festivals Queen throughout the remainder of March, with this time period most likely to be extended. We will monitor this on a week by week basis.
If you make the decision to cancel or postpone an event, email the announcement to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com and we will share it on this dedicated page.
We respect the fact that each member event is operated independently and that decisions regarding your individual events are made on the local level by a Board of Directors or Managing Committee. We simply recommend that you consider the health and well-being of all those involved when deciding whether to hold a scheduled event during these times. Of course, always follow the mandates of our governmental bodies and the recommendations of the CDC and of our health officials.
It is far too early to discuss any changes that may be made to our 2021 Convention, but we will be discussing this at our next Board of Directors meeting and keep you informed of any development regarding those plans.
We wish the very best to you and your families during these trying times!
The WV Association of Fairs & Festivals Board of Directors
Any changes to Events that we receive will be listed below:
- WV Strawberry Festival
- Has postponed the Queens Pageants this weekend (March 21 & 22)
- Executive Board has voted to to postpone all activities and events related to the 79th WV Strawberry Festival to May 2021
- Clendenin Homecoming Festival Pageant
- Pageant events (Queen & children) have been postponed until late May
- Official dates pending venue
- Putnam County Fair Queen Pageants
- Postponed to June 14th
- WV Sweetheart Festival
- Original Date: April 4, 2020 Re-scheduled Date: May 9, 2020
- Marmet Festival Days Pageant
- Original Date: April 3-4, 2020 Re-scheduled Date: TBA
- Webster County Woodchopping Festival
- Suspended for 2020
- Elimination Dinner – postponed – possibility of re-scheduling
- Mid-Ohio Valley Multi-Cultural Festival Pageant
- Re-scheduled to May 3rd, 2020
- Summersville Lighthouse Festival
- Summersville Lighthouse Festival scheduled for June 20, 2020 has been canceled
- Summersville Lighthouse Festival Pageant for 2020 has been postponed until further notice